As a commercial debt collection company, we understand the frustration and challenges that come with dealing with non-responsive debtors. In today’s market, it’s not uncommon for businesses to experience difficulties with collecting payments from customers. However, when a debtor becomes unresponsive, it can be a major roadblock in the debt collection process.
So, how should a company handle non-responsive debtors? Here are some tips and best practices that we’ve found to be effective in dealing with this situation.
1. Maintain Professionalism
The first and most important thing to remember when dealing with a non-responsive debtor is to maintain professionalism at all times. It can be tempting to get frustrated or angry, but it’s essential to keep a cool head and remain calm and collected. Being professional not only reflects positively on your company, but it also increases the chances of getting a response from the debtor.
2. Keep Accurate Records
It’s crucial to keep detailed and accurate records of all communications with the non-responsive debtor. This includes any written or verbal communication, as well as proof of the debt owed. These records can come in handy if the situation escalates and legal action needs to be taken.
3. Follow Up Regularly With Non-responsive Debtors
Don’t be afraid to follow up with the non-responsive debtor regularly. Chances are they are busy with other matters and have simply forgotten about the outstanding payment. Consistent and persistent follow-ups can help to remind them of their obligation and prompt them to take action.
4. Offer Flexible Payment Options
Sometimes, a debtor may be unresponsive due to financial difficulties. In such cases, offering flexible payment options can be beneficial. This could include setting up a payment plan or accepting partial payments. It shows a willingness to work with the debtor and increases the chances of receiving at least a portion of the owed amount.
5. Consider Outsourcing to a Debt Collection Agency
If the non-responsive debtor situation becomes too much for your company to handle, it is time to consider outsource to a commercial debt collection agency. RHK Recovery Group specializes in handling such situations and has the resources and expertise to handle difficult debtors effectively.
- We act as an intermediary between your company and the debtor. Acting as a mediator, RHK Recovery Group can help to facilitate a resolution and get the debtor pay what is owed.
- Although it should be a last resort, sometimes, taking legal action is necessary to recover the debt. Here at RHK Recovery Group we have attorneys who can file a lawsuit. We can layout a well-thought-out plan to help to expedite the legal process and increase the chances of a successful outcome.
- Because we are experts, we know how to follow all state and federal regulations when dealing with a non-responsive debtor. These regulations, such as the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, protect the rights of consumers and set specific guidelines for debt collection activities. Failing to comply with these regulations can lead to legal consequences for your company.
Dealing with a non-responsive debtor can be a frustrating and time-consuming process for businesses. However, by maintaining professionalism, keeping accurate records, offering flexible payment options, and being prepared to take legal action, if necessary, companies can increase their chances of recovering the debt.